Philadelphia Christian Ministries was founded originally as New Philadelphia Full Gospel Baptist Church in July 2008, by Bishop C.L. Shepherd, Sr. and First Lady Paula Shepherd, Co-Pastor. In 2015 the Church’s name was changed to Philadelphia Christian Ministries. This is an anointed and Holy Ghost filled ministry of the Lord our God, and our savior Jesus Christ. Philadelphia Christian Ministries is an anointed vessel of God that thrives on the empowerment and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Our Pastor was given anointed instruction from the Lord to ensure that believers would find a “free flowing” worship experience where anyone can come and not be restricted in their praise based on tradition or man-made rules. The apostle Paul teaches us in I Corinthians 14:40 to “let all things be done decently and in order.” We are a church where the gifts of the Holy Spirit manifest themselves, saturate the atmosphere, and create a spiritual and life-changing worship experience for all who enter the building.
Since the beginning of this anointed vision, the church has grown from 4 members to over 400 members on the church roll. The church has also acquired 4.05 acres at the corner of Hanks and Landis Drive for our future location. The purchase of two vans and a 25 passenger bus has also blessed our transportation ministry. The Deacon, Deaconess, Music, and the Usher Ministries continue to grow with Holy Ghost filled willing workers. The Development of the Sunday School and Creative Worship Ministry to include Mime, Dance, and Drama presentations involve our young people in meaningful and purposeful activities geared towards instilling in them the teachings of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The Men’s and Women’s ministry are moving forward with thought-provoking instruction and bible study groups that reach and develops the “whole man” spiritually. The church began the Minister Charles Gunter Annual Guardian Angel Scholarship Award for high school seniors meeting a high standard of excellence and service both educationally and spiritually while actively serving in the church. Our Bishop and Co-Pastor later founded the Philadelphia Foundation, a Non-Profit organization, which focuses on the community needs outside of the church.
The following are key programs supported by the foundation:
– Joseph’s Closet– a clothing and thrift store for the homeless and underprivileged. Items are given to individuals in need of various clothing or household items.
– Abigail’s Hope– this program sponsors local abused women and children shelters by providing essential items to the mother and her child.
– Homeless Programs– this program supports the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board and surrounding area homeless shelters with Christmas gifts and other items needed by the families. Hot meals are offered during various Holidays and in emergency situations. Future goals are to further develop Job Placement programs, provide mental health referrals and guidance, offer Christian Counseling, and provide a “Shelter In Place” program for displaced families during times of natural catastrophe.
– Fan Giveaway Program– this program provides the elderly with fans or window units in the East Baton Rouge Area during critically hot months of the year.
– The Word Giveaway Program– Bibles are given away annually in the community to urge believers and non-believers to read the word and accept our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.